We've written about the benefits of including discounts in recovery emails, as well as when to include discounts in recovery emails. Here we'll cover how to offer discounts in order to drive purchases and increase revenue. You can offer a static, existing coupon code, or send a dynamically generated coupon code with Jilt.
Let's get couponing!
Add a discount to an order receipt template
If you've already followed the Creating discount codes for order receipts, you'll already have a discount code that you'd like to add to an order receipt.
1. Open up the template in the email editor. We'll include the discount via the Discount Code component:
2. Drag-and-drop the component over into the email body and it adds the discount block to the contents. Here's a little video demonstrating the process:
Don't forget to Save Changes when you're done
Add a new discount to an email template
Haven't had a chance to create a discount yet as you've been busy getting the email design just right? We've got great news! You can create a new discount code and add it to the email all from the same screen 🎊
1. Since you're already in the email editor, we'll drag-and-drop the Discount Code component over into the template like we did above.
2. Under the Discount Settings, we'll select the +New discount link.
3. Fill out the discount properties. At a minimum we'll enter the Name, Type, and Amount.
4. Click the Add Discount button when you're happy with its setup. Remember to Save Changes before leaving the editor.
Using existing discount codes
If you have already created a discount code in your Shopify, WooCommerce or EDD shop, you can apply it to the email via the order receipt editor. These discounts need to be created directly within your eCommerce platform admin area. To add that existing discount code to your Jilt email:
- Drag the Discount Code block to the content area of your email
- Choose Existing code from the dropdown menu in the sidebar
- Enter the Discount code to match the one you created in your eCommerce platform
- Enter an optional Expiry date value. Note that this value will need to be configured in the discount settings for your eCommerce platform. Jilt doesn't enforce the expiry for existing discounts based on this value.
Note: existing discounts are not automatically applied to the cart. They need to be manually entered at checkout.