In this article, you'll learn how to easily add a signup form to your store where contacts can opt in to join your Jilt mailing list.
- Using the Signup Forms tool
- Adding the signup form shortcode to your shop
- Adding the signup form widget to your shop
We'll also cover integrations that will allow you to take your form building skills further.
Using the Signup Forms tool ✍️
With the Jilt Signup Forms tool, you can add a custom signup form to any store with just a few clicks! All customers that register via the signup form will be automatically added to Jilt and will be opted in to receive marketing emails. Follow the steps below to setup your signup form:
1. Go the Signup Forms.
2. Enable the Enable popup forms setting.
3. Under the Form settings field, modify the following options as desired:
- Show first and last name fields: Disable this setting if you don't want to gather first and last name. We recommend leaving this enabled so you can personalize your emails with Liquid merge tags.
- Popup type. Choose between an exit intent popup, which appears when users are about to leave your site, or a timed popup, which will appear after your configured number of seconds.
- Form heading and form content. Customize the content of your signup form.
- Add tags to contacts. Choose one or more tags to add to the contacts who subscribe via this form.
- Add contacts to lists. Choose one or more lists that contacts who subscribe via this form should be added to.
Note: You can use lists and tags to segment your emails!
4. Click Update form settings. You can see how your form will appear to site visitors in the Form preview area.
5. Want to send an email welcoming those new signups? Head on over to our guide on how to set up an automated welcome email.
To read more on how to customize the sign up form with CSS, head over to our blog post, which covers what you can do in details.
🎨 Can I change the color of the "Subscribe" button? Sure thing! Go to Settings > Brand and change the Primary Color for your site. Please note that this will also change some of the default colors in your emails.
🔎 Why can't I see the form on my site? The form will track when users have already seen it, so that it doesn't keep appearing and annoy your visitors! This means that you might not see the form when you visit your site. Try using an incognito window or other private browser. 🤓
📣 Have some feedback for us about Signup Forms? This tool is still in beta, so we'd love to learn how we can improve it to work better for your shop! Please get in touch with support to share your thoughts with us.
Adding the signup form shortcode to your shop ⌨️
For WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads store, you can also use shortcode to embed a signup form in your store. Email addresses gathered via this form will be automatically opted in to receive emails from Jilt! Follow the steps below to add the shortcode to your store:
1. From the WordPress admin, open the page that you'd like to add the shortcode to.
2. Use the Shortcode block and enter the following code:
3. Click Update.
This will add a basic form to your site to collect email addresses. However, you can add some attributes to this shortcode to gather the user's name, add tags, and add them to a list!
- show_names: Add the first and last name fields to the form, which can be used to personalize emails with Liquid merge tags.
- require_names: Require that users enter their first and last name to submit the form.
- button_text: Customize the button text, which defaults to "Subscribe".
- list_ids: Enter one or more comma-separated list IDs that contacts who subscribe via this form should be added to. You can find your list ID by going to Contacts > Lists, selecting the list, and checking the URL:
- tags: Enter one or more comma-separated tags that should be added to contacts who subscribe via this form.
Here's how this shortcode looks when using all attributes:
[jilt_subscribe show_names="yes" require_names="yes" button_text="Sign up!" list_ids="2374" tags="super-duper, like-really-great"]
When we add this shortcode to our WordPress page...
...we get this signup form for our users! 🍻
Adding the signup form widget to your shop
For WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads store, you can also add a signup form widget to your store's theme. Email addresses gathered via this form will be automatically opted in to receive emails from Jilt! Follow the steps below to add the widget to your store:
1. Go to Appearance > Customize > Widgets.
2. Select the location for the widget. The locations will vary based on your site's theme. In this example, we're using the Storefront theme.
3. Click Add a Widget > Jilt.
4. Update the following settings as desired to customize the signup form:
- Ask for first and last name? You can hide, show, or require that users enter their name, which can be used for Liquid merge tag customization.
- Lists: Choose one or more lists that contacts who subscribe via this form should be added to.
- Tag new subscribers: Choose one or more tags that should be added to contacts who subscribe via this form.
- Submit button text
5. Click Publish to save your changes.
Send an email welcoming new subscribers
Want to send an email welcoming those new signups? Head on over to our guide on how to set up an automated welcome email.