We covered generating your Jilt DNS records along with some general guidelines in our article Can I send emails from my own domain? Here we'll take a look at adding the SPF and DKIM records to your HostGator domain host.
Now, let's start sending your emails with your own domain.
Add the DKIM record
1. Visit your your cPanel page at HostGator. Your cPanel address usually looks something like this:
2. Enter the email address and password you created when you set up your domain with HostGator. Then click Log in.
3. Scroll down to the Domains section and click Advanced DNS Zone Editor.
4. The Advanced DNS Zone Editor page will now load. Scroll down to the Add a Record section. From the Type dropdown, choose TXT.
5. Before entering the Name value we previously generated from Jilt (see Can I send emails from my own domain?), we'll need to modify it slightly to work with HostGator.
For example, a default Name value would be
20170810233822pm._domainkey.my-domain.com . To use this on HostGator we'll need to remove the domain at the end. Our example value then becomes
Back in HostGator, enter the modified value in the Name field.
6. We'll use HostGator's default TTL (Time to Live) value in the TTL field. Enter 14400.
7. Next, in the TXT Data field we'll enter the TXT Value we copied from Jilt's Email Domains setup page. Paste the value starting with "k=rsa;" and then click Add Record to save the DKIM record.
Great job! We're almost done.
Add the SPF record
If you are still in the Advanced DNS Zone Editor, we'll continue with the below steps. Otherwise, follow Steps 1-3 from Add the DKIM record and then continue following along with us below.
1. Scroll down to the Add a Record section. From the Type dropdown, choose TXT.
2. In the Name field, enter your domain, followed by a
. as the value (e.g.
3. We'll again use HostGator's default TTL (Time to Live) value in the TTL field. Enter 14400.
4. In the TXT Data field we'll enter the TXT Value generated by Jilt. Paste this value,
v=spf1 a mx include:spf.mtasv.net ~all , then click Add Record.
If your HostGator account already has an SPF record
In some instances, you might already have an SPF record in your Records list. It's not recommended to have multiple records - this can lead to delivery and spam issues. Instead, we can adjust the entry to include a portion of Jilt's TXT Value.
Add the following to your existing SPF record and move the
~all to the end:
Your final SPF record might look something like this:
v=spf1 a mx include:_spf.google.com include:spf.mtasv.net ~all
Once the DNS has had a chance to propagate (sometimes up to 48 hours), return to Jilt's Email Domain page to complete verification.
To learn more, take a look at our article How to Verify Your SPF and DKIM records.