We covered generating your Jilt DNS records along with some general guidelines in our article Can I send emails from my own domain? Here we'll take a look at adding the SPF and DKIM records to your Media Temple domain host.
Now, let's start sending your emails with your own domain.
Add the DKIM record
1. Log into your Media Temple account.
2. From the Services list, locate the domain you'll be working with and click the ADMIN button on the far right.
3. The GRID Control Panel page will now load. Scroll to the bottom of the page, to the DNS & ZONE FILES section, and select Edit DNS Zone File.
4. At the bottom of the EDIT ZONE page, click ADD ROW and select TXT from the Type dropdown.
5. Before entering the Host value we previously generated from Jilt (see Can I send emails from my own domain?), we'll need to modify it slightly to work with Media Temple.
For example, a default Host value would be
20170810233822pm._domainkey.my-domain.com . To use this on Media Temple we'll need to remove the domain at the end. Our example value then becomes
Back in Media Temple, enter the modified value in the Name field.
6. Next, in the Data field we'll enter the TXT Value we copied from Jilt's Email Domains setup page. Paste the value starting with "k=rsa;".
7. For the TTL (Time to Live) value, we'll keep Media Temple's default of
43200 . Click SAVE CHANGES to add the DKIM to your DNS records.
Add the SPF record
If you are still on the EDIT ZONE page, we'll continue with the below steps. Otherwise, follow Steps 1-3 from Add the DKIM record and then continue following along with us below.
1. Scroll to the bottom of the EDIT ZONE page, click ADD ROW and select TXT from the Type dropdown.
2. We'll leave the Name field blank.
3. In the Data field we'll enter the TXT Value generated by Jilt. Paste the following:
v=spf1 a mx include:spf.mtasv.net ~all
4. We'll again leave the default TTL (Time to Live) setting. Click SAVE CHANGES to finish adding the SPF record.
If your Media Temple account already has an SPF record
In some instances, you might already have an SPF record in your Records list. It's not recommended to have multiple records - this can lead to delivery and spam issues. Instead, we can adjust the entry to include a portion of Jilt's TXT Value.
Add the following to your existing SPF record and move the
~all to the end:
Your final SPF record might look something like this:
v=spf1 a mx include:_spf.google.com include:spf.mtasv.net ~all
Once the DNS has had a chance to propagate (sometimes up to 48 hours), return to Jilt's Email Domain page to complete verification.
To learn more, take a look at our article How to Verify Your SPF and DKIM records.